Problems with the presence of hot water, even a short period, cause a lot of inconvenience. Provide comfortable conditions for interruptions with a centralized supply or in the event of its complete absence called for electric water heaters. Manufacturers offer flow and storage models. In case of temporary difficulties, it is more practical to install the first version of an electric appliance for heating water.
Flow-through water heater
The flow-through water heater design is similar to the internal boiler unit, only in miniature. The key function for heating water is performed by the heater, which is a spiral wrapped in a copper tube. Constant water cooling of the heating element prevents its overheating, the liquid, in turn, leaves the hot water heater. The body of the electrical device is compact, the magnesium anode is absent. Due to the small dimensions, it is not difficult to install a flow-through water heater correctly.
The figure shows: 1 - housing, 2 - heating elements for
To prevent overheating and failureEquipment, electric appliance is equipped with a thermostat and a control sensor. If there is insufficient pressure or complete absence of water, the protection is activated and the flow water heater is switched off. This is another reason to install the unit in your home, without fear for the safety of further exploitation.
Prolong the period of trouble-free operation will help water purification filters. Their lack of basic equipment is not an obstacle to install a water heater. It will be correct if you purchase them additionally and install them in the general installation works.
After you install the electrical unit, it is important to properly operate it, this will help to avoid unpleasant situations with overheating of the equipment. The procedure is as follows:
- Switching on: open the water and make sure it is present, then start the water heater.
- Shutdown - in reverse order. After the electrical unit stops working, the water closes after 30 seconds to allow the TEN to cool.
Kinds of electrical assemblies
To properly install an electrical appliance, you first need to compare its power and the load that the wiring in an apartment or a private house can withstand. Most of the apartments of the old type are equipped with weak wiring, designed for a maximum power consumption of 3-4 kW.Often this is not enough to install a running water heater. The solution is to hold a separate line with a ground for the shield.
How to install a water heater depends on its design features:
- The pressure unit has the ability to take water from several points. This allows simultaneous use of the device in two places. It is characterized by high power and operation on a regular basis. It is not always possible to install it in an apartment, it is more often used in private houses.
- Non-pressure equipment is designed exclusively for one point of water intake. You can install it in the kitchen for dishwashing or in the shower bath. The main advantages of this type of electric water heater are less power consumption and compactness.
Advantages and disadvantages of the
When deciding to install a flow-through electric water heater, you will win in the following positions:
- The installation process is simpler than the storage unit.
- Compactness, which is especially appreciated in small apartments.
- Waiting period for water heating is minimized.
- Affordable pricing policy.
Technical specifications of the electric water heater can create difficulties during the operation, so it is better to familiarize yourself with the features of the device before you install it:
- High power( from 5 to 30 kW) does not allow to use it in apartments with weak wiring. Even if you install an 8 kW unit, additional steps are required to re-equip the electrical wiring.
- The purchase of a water heater of a pressure type provides good water pressure, otherwise it will not turn on or burn out if there is no protective equipment.
- For residents of the upper floors with a problematic water supply it is better to install a non-pressure model.
- The heating range is 20-30 ° C, the maximum limit in summer is 50 ° C, low-power models in winter cold can heat the water only to 35 ° C.
Connecting to the water supply system
Installing the water heater on its own is perfectly feasible. First, determine the optimal location - it should be as close as possible to the source of water intake in order to avoid heat loss. The installation process includes two installation options: for temporary use or stationary.
For the period of preventive maintenance it is practical to install a water heater on a temporary basis. Fixation to the wall is carried out using brackets or screws that come with the equipment. In their absence, the electrical assembly is attached to the dowels. The function of supplying hot water for temporary connection is made by the shower hose, switching is carried out with the help of the mixer knob. Depending on its position, water comes from the instantaneous water heater or directly from the tap. To install the device correctly, a tee fitting is attached to the cold water pipe. A flexible hose is installed between them.
Turn on the electric water heater in the following sequence:
- opens the cold water valve;
- opens the tap, which produces the heated water;
- flow-through water heater is connected to the mains.
There are the following options for how to properly install an electric water heater of the flow type:
Fixed connection is made when operating an electric water heater on an ongoing basis.
The assembly process includes the following steps:
- Pipes intended for cold and hot water supply are equipped with tee fittings.
- Similar to a temporary connection, shut-off valves must be installed on them.
- Then a cleaning filter is installed on the cold water supply.
- Flexible hoses connect: a pipe for cold water and an input to the electrical unit, a hot water pipe and an outlet from the instantaneous water heater. Do not forget to use the FSM tape for reliable waterproofing.
The connection of the water heater to the power supply consists of the following steps:
- The electrical panel is equipped with a residual current device( RCD).This will allow the timely shutdown of the running water heater as a result of a short circuit. In the absence of sufficient experience, it is better to install the equipment to a professional specialist.
- In the wall between the entrance and the apartment a hole is drilled, the diameter of which allows to pass the electric cable for the water heater. A similar hole is equipped with a wall separating the bath( if it is there that the optimum location for the flow unit is selected).In the future, the masking of the cable is carried out using a skirting board.
- To put a cable in the water heater, it is necessary to disassemble it. Such actions are envisaged in order to ensure a high protection of the electric appliance against moisture ingress. After connecting the cable cores to the terminals, the instantaneous water heater is assembled and can be permanently installed in the selected location.
If the electrical cable is not hidden and the connection is made using a plug, worry about the qualitative selection of the outlet, it must be three-pin and necessarily grounded.
Conditions for proper operation of the
For continuous operation of the electric water heater, it is not sufficient to install it correctly.
It is necessary to observe certain conditions during operation:
- Do not use a gander or shower nozzle, not intended for the flow unit, since the elements included in the basic kit contribute to the formation of an optimal water pressure in the heater. Violation of this rule will provoke incomplete covering of the heating element with water with further failure.
- The heating temperature is controlled by means of the provided modes on the flow heater panel or by switching on the watering can.
- Noise when the electric water heater is running, power reduction or no movement on the thermostat indicates that the unit is clogged. To solve the problem is simple enough - it is necessary to disassemble the flow-through unit and clean all the elements from the scale, then collect and install it in its original place.
Careful examination of the characteristics of the flowing water heaters before purchase, adherence to recommendations when installing it and proper operation will prolong the life of the electrical appliance.
- How to choose an electric boiler
- Types of fittings for polypropylene pipes
- Welding instructions for polypropylene pipes
- Polypropylene pipes for sewerage